Sunday 24 April 2016

The Apprentice- Tess Gerritsen

Hi all!
My first proper post is a review of Tess Gerritsen's second novel in the Rizzoli and Isles series, The Apprentice. I loved the first in the series, The Surgeon, which I read over the Christmas holidays, and I was eager to read the second. However, my dissertation got in the way and I was snowed under with Gothic realism and such like.
 I started The Apprentice just four days ago, and have already completed it. It is un-put-down-able. I love the fast-paced action and the grit which is present, and the strong female character is even more intriguing. What I especially loved about the second book is the vulnerability we see in Jane Rizolli, lead detective. She is a strong, fierce cop, but we also see she is scared and needs help, like everyone else in the world: she is not invincible.
The twists and turns in this exciting book keep you on the edge of your seat, and as Gerritsen herself is a doctor we get a very real sense of the autopsy room. I love the more gruesome aspects of the book! As someone who cannot stand horror movies, literature is how I get my grizzly fix!
I know this is in no way a new book (having been published in 2002), but I cannot wait to read The Sinner, the next in the series! Gerritsen is an amazing writer, and I can't wait to explore more of her work.
Until next time,
Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment